Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reading challenges

I have 2 reading challenges at this point, and might add one more. I read fast - when I have time - and can go through a number of books. Although it seems that my husband, who is a physician who works both as a hospitalist and a clinician in a rural clinic as well as being a guardsman with 3 deployments, seems to read more than I do. Go figure.

Anyway, my challenges for this year, thus far, are the Chunkster and Shakespeare challenges. The first because my idea of a good book is a fat book. Not necessarily true, but those are the titles to which I'm drawn. The Shakespeare challenge stems from my graduate work; I studied pre-1660 British Literature in graduate school, applying a feminist perspective to the role of Joan in I Henry IV, comparing the heroine to Queen Elizabeth I. Plus I still have my old Bevington although I suspect it's out of date.

Caribousmom has defined a chunster as an adult book 450 pages or more. There are 4 levels:
1) The Chubby Chunkster. 4 books of at least 450 pages.
2) The Plump Primer for those who can commit to 6 450 books over the course of 12 months.
3) The Does This Book Make My Butt Look Big requires 6 books, 2 of which are 450 pages, 2 at 451 - 770 pages in length and 2 greater then 770 pages in length.
4) Mor-book-ly Obese. 8 or more books 3 of which must be more than 750 pages long.

I'm doing the Does This Book Make My Butt Look Big. I thought the title was funny and I have most of the books anyway yet to be read.

I'll talk about the Shakespeare Challenge in my next post later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment