Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 16, 2011

First things first...

Very, very first thing: Despite my background as a librarian, I am absolutely a newbie to blogging. Please be patient as I work through some of the stylistic basics. Next - one of my goals for the new year is to be a bit more organized about my reading habits and challenge myself a bit more. One way I thought to accomplish this was to join a few reading challenges and start a book review blog. I'm a librarian: I've always worked in a university setting. I've been a science librarian, done interlibrary loan, humanities reference, a serials & database librarian and my last position was as a department head for an acquisitions unit. I also have a master's in English, and was working on a certificate in Woment's Studes when I finished graduate school.

Even though I now stay home with my children (10 and 12) I still love books. I have hard copy books as well as e-books. I'm a fan of both, but find ebooks infinitely more conducive to running my kids back and forth to their various activites. I do think it's much easier to put a reading device in my mom bag than to pack a 500 page tome from place to place. It was hard to accept the technological change 10 or so years ago when it started - while I was an acquisitions librarian - but have embraced it since then. I still buy a lot of books in hardcopy, as do my children. We're pretty flexible about reading, as long as everyone reads.

While I like to read, it's hard to find the time in my day to do it. I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised by that fact, as I still am today. Participating in reading challenges and blogging my reviews helps me retain my focus on literature and hopefully will guide others as they choose their own books.

My other hobbies include baking - pies, cakes, pastries, cookies - candy making, gardening, movies and creating props for our halloween haunt.

That's it for me. Next posting will be about my reading challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment